Column Redux

One wire at a time. The last couple were a little stubborn.
One wire at a time. The last couple were a little stubborn.

The holiday week–and nearly summer-like weather–meant I had a quite a lot of time to spend in the garage. I made slow, steady progress on the steering column and actually wrapped up this portion of the project yesterday.

The color coat on the steering column came out terrific. I wrapped it in bubble wrap after it cured to help protect it while I snaked in the wires for the turn signal, horn and light. The first time through this process, about two years ago, I remember the reassembly as a very frustrating ordeal. This time, while not mistake free (Oh, the wires go in through the shift collar?) I enjoyed putting it together.

Nicely restored, for a driver.
Nicely restored, for a driver.

I am very pleased with the final result–not concourse, but nice for a daily driver. I am hopeful that the finish will hold up to the rigors of everyday use. Right now, it’s wrapped in a towel on the shelf, awaiting installation.

For that, I’ll need to have the new floor pans welded in.

I spent most of my time yesterday prepping my shop for welding and making room for the little welding cart I plan to build. By this morning, I had the welder set up and ready to go, except for the correct welding tip. I was supposed to get three different sizes in the box, but I got two of one and one of anther. Naturally, the one I need is the one that is missing. However, it’s a common item I should be able to pick up at the local hardware store later today. With luck, I’ll have a few test beads done by the end of the day.

Leave a Reply