Changed the oil. That was the extent of the work I did on the car this week. After my hard work last winter, it’s time to get in a few hours behind the wheel.
There’s something about a working, good-looking interior that inspires more confidence in the car. Maybe it’s that gauges are accurate. Maybe the music is drowning out some of the squeaks and rattles. Or perhaps it’s psychological. Whatever the reason, with an obligation across town in heavy rush hour traffic last week. I didn’t hesitate to fire up the ‘Bird and set off.
It’s not something I would have done last summer, though the mechanicals underneath are essentially unchanged. It ran great, and I had a blast both coming and going. (More than I can say for everyone else out there, stuck in their daily traffic jam.)
Oh, there are still a few minor things to catch up on this summer. The light sockets in the rear are failing, slowly. Oil is leaking rapidly from the motor. (But this is a good thing–meaning that oil is also getting around in the motor better too.) and if I really want to tackle a project, I’ve got new rubber bushings for the rear leaf springs. None of these are pressing, however.
I had to put off the windshield sealing–it’s a three-day process and I had places to go. I’ll drop he car for that tomorrow, should have it back in plenty of time for a wash and wax before the weekend.