Wrapping up some of the dash project items this week:
I pulled the lower dash and radio access to rewire the stereo after the speaker wires checked out. Sure enough, once I ran clean power and a good ground to the stereo, the sound cleaned right up. Nice.
With all those panels already off, I readjusted the “flipper” panels (honestly, don’t know what else to call it) behind the swing away mechanism, as the push nut had popped off, making the flippers stop flipping (and just flopping). The whole area look empty and sad.
And, since I was on my back under the dash, I loosened the neutral safety switch and moved it a millimeter or two. Where it was, it was almost, but not quite, in place to close the vacuum connection to the e-brake in park.
Buttoning it all up, I hooked up the battery, cranked the tunes and went for a little joyride.
The flippers flipped, music sounded good and when I came to a stop in the garage, the parking brake engaged without a fuss.
Last week, I took the bird down to the body shop that painted the dash to have them look at the windshield leak. Turns out, the last place–shock!–botched the job, and I’ll need a new windshield gasket. The new part should arrive this week, with the work done before next weekend. Had to pull the cowl for the inspection, so I’m running around for a while without it.