Rinse and Repeat

I exchanged numerous emails with my carburetor rebuilder last week. After eliminating several possible issues, he asked that I clean out the idle circuits. I pulled the venturis off as instructed and blew a copious amount of carb cleaner through them, though they did look pretty clean.

Cleaning the carb.
Cleaning the carb.

I also double checked the main jets and triple-checked the float level. Examining the baseplate, I agreed with the rebuilder that it was flat enough to expect a good seal against new gaskets. In any case, it appears that dressing it properly would require removing quite a bit of the linkage and the throttle plates. I’ll only try that after installing new gaskets (I got a couple this week).

Rapidly growing weeds meant that I spent much of my weekend in the garden, not in the shop. I didn’t have enough time to actually test the re-cleaned Autolite. I may have an hour or two during the week, however, to swap them and try again.

This rear seat back cleaned up very nicely.
This rear seat back cleaned up very nicely.

I did get a chance to clean up the back seats I bought a few weeks back. One I got the crud off them, I discovered that they are considerably better than the seat backs I have in the car now. I also salvaged a new glove box lid and steering wheel hub. Neither is perfect, but both are much better my originals. So far, $100 well spent.

Yesterday, I found someone else looking to sell an entire dash, including a decent dash pad–also in turquoise. Could be just what I need to get started on the dashboard rebuild. I’ll be taking a look at it in person in a week or so.

1 thought on “Rinse and Repeat”

Leave a Reply